Recent publications from the Purdue University Department of Physics and Astronomy
The Department of Physics and Astronomy is constantly pushing the limits of the world’s collective knowledge of our physical world. Our faculty persistently pursues the next giant leap in our sciences and publishes their findings in scholarly journals and publications. Below is a sampling of the works published by our faculty in the past year. These are listed alphabetically by faculty’s last name.
- Magnetic Phases of Spatially-Modualted Spin-1 Chains in Rydberg Excitons: Classical and Quantum Simulations, M. Sajjan, H. Alaeian, and S. Kais, J. Chem. Phys. 157, 22411 (2022) [https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.11881]
- Purcell-enhanced dipolar interaction in nanostructures, A. Skljarow, H. Kübler, C. S. Adams, T. Pfau, R. Löw, and H. Alaeian, Phys. Rev. Research 4, 023073 (2022) [https://arxiv.org/abs/2112.11175]
- Exact multistability and dissipative time crystals in interacting fermionic lattices, H. Alaeian and B. Buca, Commun. Phys. 5, 318 (2022) [https://arxiv.org/abs/2202.09369] (behind the paper Nature blog post about the results)
- Basak, M. Alzate Banguero, L. Burzawa, F. Simmons, P. Salev, I. K. Schuller, M.M. Qazilbash, D. N. Basov, L. Aigouy, A. Zimmers, and E. W. Carlson, “Deep Learning Hamiltonians from Disordered Image Data in Quantum Materials,” arXiv:2211.01490 (2022).
- C.-L. Song, E. J. Main, F. Simmons, S. Liu, B. Phillabaum, K. A. Dahmen, E. W. Hudson, J. E. Hoffman, E. W. Carlson, “Critical Nematic Correlations Throughout the Superconducting Doping Range in BSCO” arXiv:2111.05389 (2021).
- Liu, E. W. Carlson, and K. A. Dahmen, “Connecting complex electronic pattern formation to critical exponents,” Condensed Matter 6, 39 (2021).
- Maria Petropoulou, Philippos Psarras, and Dimitrios Giannios, "Hadronic signatures from magnetically dominated baryon-loaded AGN jets", MNRAS, 518, 2719 (2023)
- Zacharias Davis, Jesus Rueda-Becerril, and Dimitrios Giannios, "Balancing turbulent heating with radiative cooling in blazars", MNRAS, 513, 5766 (2022)
- Haocheng Zhang, Xiaocan Li, Dimitrios Giannios, et al., "Radiation and Polarization Signatures from Magnetic Reconnection in Relativistic Jets. II", ApJ, 924, 90 (2022)
- Michael Higgins and C. H. Greene, “Three and four identical fermions near the unitary limit”, Physical Review A 106, 023304 (2022).
- Plunkett, M. A. Alarcón, J. K. Wood, C. H. Greene, and A. Sandhu, “Raman Interferometry between Autoionizing States to Probe Ultrafast Wave-Packet Dynamics with High Spectral Resolution”, Physical Review Letters 128, 083001 (2022).
- Alex P. Burgers, Shuo Ma, Sam Saskin, Jack Wilson, Miguel A. Alarcón, Chris H. Greene, and Jeff D. Thompson, “Controlling Rydberg Excitations Using Ion-Core Transitions in Alkaline-Earth Atom-Tweezer Arrays”, Alex P. Burgers, Shuo Ma, Sam Saskin, Jack Wilson, Miguel A. Alarcón, Chris H. Greene, and Jeff D. Thompson, PRX Quantum 3, 020326 (2022).
- Projection of the top quark spin correlation measurement and search for top squark pair production at the HL-LHC, A.M. Sirunyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), CMS-PAS-FTR-18-034, 2022.
- Measurement of the charge asymmetry in events with highly Lorentz-boosted top quarks in pp collisions at = 13 TeV, A.M. Sirunyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), Accepted by Physics Letters B, CMS-PAS-TOP-21-014, 2022.
- Light-weight and highly thermally conductive support structures for future tracking detectors, E. Anderssen, A.W. Jung, S. Karmarkar, A. Koshy, White Paper, contributed to Proceedings of the US Community Study on the Future of Particle Physics (Snowmass 2022), [arXiv:2203.14347].
- The XENON Collaboration (2022): Search for new physics in electronic recoil data from XENONnT. Physical Review Letters, 129(16), 161805. https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.11330
- The Windchime Collaboration (2022): Snowmass 2021 White Paper: The Windchime Project. https://arxiv.org/abs/2203.07242
- Lang et al.: A next-generation liquid xenon observatory for dark matter and neutrino physics. Journal of Physics G 50 (2022) 013001. https://arxiv.org/abs/2203.02309
- Zhujing Xu, Peng Ju, Xingyu Gao, Kunhong Shen, Zubin Jacob, Tongcang Li. "Observation and control of Casimir effects in a sphere-plate-sphere system." Nature Communications 13, 6148 (2022).
- Xingyu Gao, Sumukh Vaidya, Kejun Li, Peng Ju, Boyang Jiang, Zhujing Xu, Andres E. Llacsahuanga Allcca, Kunhong Shen, Takashi Taniguchi, Kenji Watanabe, Sunil A. Bhave, Yong P. Chen, Yuan Ping, Tongcang Li. "Nuclear spin polarization and control in hexagonal boron nitride." Nature Materials 21, 1024 (2022).
- Zhujing Xu, Xingyu Gao, Jaehoon Bang, Zubin Jacob, and Tongcang Li. "Non-reciprocal energy transfer through the Casimir effect," Nature Nanotechnology 17, 148 (2022).
- Li, T., Liu, S., Feng, Y., M. Liu et al. Semi-supervised graph neural networks for pileup noise removal. Eur. Phys. J. C 83, 99 (2023)
- Miao, M. Liu, P. Li. Interpretable Geometric Deep Learning via Learnable Randomness Injection. ICLR2023 (2023)
- Miao, M. Liu, P. Li. Interpretable and generalizable graph learning via stochastic attention mechanism. Internation Conference on Machine Learning (2022)
- Dzuba, T. Nguyen, A. Sen, R. E. Diaz, M. Dubey, M. Bachhav, J. P. Wharry, M. J. Manfra, and O. Malis*, “Elimination of remnant phases in low-temperature growth of wurtzite ScAlN by molecular-beam epitaxy”, Journal of Applied Physics 132, 175701 (2022).
- Cao, B. Dzuba, B. A. Magill, A. Senichev, T. Nguyen, R. E. Diaz, M. J. Manfra, S. McGill, C. Garcia, G. A. Khodaparast, and O. Malis*, “Photoluminescence study of carrier localization and recombination in nearly strain-balanced non-polar InGaN/AlGaN quantum wells”, under review at Physica Status Solidi B, 2100569 (2022).
- Malis, T. Nguyen, Y. Cao, B. A. Magill, B. Dzuba, S. McGill, C. Garcia, G. A. Khodaparast, and M. J. Manfra, “Novel nitride quantum structures for infrared sensing”, Proceeding of SPIE Photonics West XVIII, 120090B, (2022).
- Sirunyan et al. [CMS Collaboration], “A portrait of the Higgs boson by the CMS experiment ten years after the discovery”, Nature (2022). doi:10.1038/s41586-022-04892-x.
- Sirunyan et al. [CMS Collaboration], “Search for resonant and non-resonant new phenomena in high mass dilepton final states at √s = 13 TeV”, J. High Energy Phys. 07 (2021) 208. doi:10.1007/JHEP07(2021)208
- Sirunyan et al. [CMS Collaboration], “Evidence for Higgs boson decay to a pair of muons”, J. High Energy Phys. 01 (2021) 148. doi:10.1007/JHEP01(2021)148
- Dr. Roman Ezhov, Dr. Alireza K. Ravari, Dr. Mark Palenik, Alexander Loomis, Dr. Debora M. Meira, Dr. Sergei Savikhin, Dr. Yulia Pushkar, "Photoexcitation of Fe3O Nodes in MOF Drives Water Oxidation at pH=1 When Ru Catalyst Is Present," ChemSusChem 2023, e202202124.
- Sahand Emamian, Kendra A. Ireland, Vatsal Purohit, Kirklin L. McWhorter, Olga Maximova, Winter Allen, Scott Jensen, Diego M. Casa, Yulia Pushkar*, and Katherine M. Davis*, "X-ray Emission Spectroscopy of Single Protein Crystals Yields Insights into Heme Enzyme Intermediates" J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2023, 14, 1, 41--48, Dec. 25, 2022 https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.2c03018
- Moumita Ghosh, Sarah E. Braley, Roman Ezhov, Harrison Worster, Juan A. Valdez-Moreira, Yaroslav Losovyj, Elena Jakubikova*, Yulia N. Pushkar*, and Jeremy M. Smith*, "A Spectroscopically Observed Iron Nitrosyl Intermediate in the Reduction of Nitrate by a Surface-Conjugated Electrocatalyst," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2022, 144, 39, 17824–17831, Sept. 26, 2022 https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.2c03487
- Akilesh Venkatesh and F. Robicheaux, “Simulations for x-ray imaging of wave-packet dynamics,” Phys. Rev. A 106, 033125 (2022).
- Deepak A. Suresh and F. Robicheaux, “Atom recoil in collectively interacting dipoles using quantized vibrational states,” Phys. Rev. A 105, 033706 (2022).
- Francis Walz, Siddhant Pandey, Liang Z. Tan, and Niranjan Shivaram, "Electric Field Measurement of Femtosecond Time-Resolved Four-Wave Mixing Signals in Molecules", Optics Express 30, 36065 (2022).
- Yimeng Wang, Siddhant Pandey, Chris H. Greene, and Niranjan Shivaram, "Attosecond Entangled Photons from Two-Photon Decay of Metastable Atoms: A Source for Attosecond Experiments and Beyond", Physical Review Research 4, L032038 (2022).
- Justin Copenhaver, Jukka I. Väyrynen, “Edge spin transport in the disordered two-dimensional topological insulator WTe2” Physical Review B 105, 115402 (2022).
- Jukka I. Väyrynen, Moshe Goldstein, and Yuval Gefen, “Superconductivity of neutral modes in quantum Hall edges” Phys. Rev. B 105, L081402 (2022).
- Guangjie Li, Yuval Oreg, and Jukka I. Väyrynen “Multichannel Topological Kondo Effect” Phys. Rev. Lett. 130, 066302 (2023).
- Search for the chiral magnetic effect with isobar collisions at √sNN = 200 GeV by the STAR Collaboration at RHIC, M.S. Abdallah et al. (STAR Collaboration), Phys. Rev. C 105, 014901 (2022)
- Search for the chiral magnetic effect via charge-dependent azimuthal correlations relative to spectator and participant planes in Au+Au collisions at √sNN = 200 GeV, M.S. Abdallah et al. (STAR Collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 128, 092301 (2022)
- Pair invariant mass to isolate background in the search for the chiral magnetic effect in Au+Au collisions at √sNN = 200 GeV, M.S. Abdallah et al. (STAR Collaboration), Phys. Rev. C 106, 034908 (2022)
- "Measurements of azimuthal anisotropy of nonprompt D0 mesons in PbPb collisions at sqrt(S_NN) = 5.02 TeV", A. M. Sirun et al. (CMS collaboration), arXiv:2212.01636v1 (2022)
- “Multiplicity and transverse momentum dependence of charge balance function in pPb and PbPb collisions”, A. M. Sirun et al. (CMS collaboration), CMS-PAS-HIN-21-017
- “Probing hydrodynamics and the moments of the elliptic flow distribution in 5.02 TeV lead-lead collisions using higher-order cumulants”, A. M. Sirun et al. (CMS collaboration), CMS-PAS-HIN-21-010