- Femtosecond optical studies of artificial and natural biological systems.
- Membrane proteins: structure and function, structure-based computer modeling
- Exciton kinetics in semiconductors, molecular crystals and biological structures.
- Biomimetic devices.
- Ultrafast experimental techniques.
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award for excellence in undergraduate teaching (Department of Physics) 2003
- Seeds of Excellence Award for success in attracting large sponsored programs (Purdue University) 2004
- Professor, Purdue University, 2015
- Associate Professor, Purdue University, 2008
- Assistant Professor, Purdue University, 2001
- Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, 1993
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Ames Laboratory, 1991
- Scientist, Institute of Physics of Estonian Academy of Sciences,1990
- Junior Scientist,Institute of Physics, 1983