Rolf P. Scharenberg
NOTE: E-mail addresses end with @purdue.edu
Professor of Physics
Office: Physics 249
Telephone: (765) 494-5393
Fax: (765) 494-0706
B.S., Physics, University of Michigan, 1949
M.S., Physics, University of Michigan, 1950
Ph.D., Physics, University of Michigan, 1955
Research Interests Current:
Phase diagram of hadronic matter, liquid-gas phase transitions, quark-gluon plasma.
Magnetic moments of excited nuclei using accelerator techniques to check the pairing plus quadrupole model; quadrupole moments of vibrational states using the re-orientation effect which revealed unexpectedly large deformations; partially conserved axial vector currents (PCAC) relationship using the p,n reaction at intermediate energies which allows the determination of B decay matrix elements of any nuclear state; pbar-p quark gluon search at 1.8 TeV.
Awards and Honors
Fellow, the American Physical Society
Herbert Newby McCoy Award, Purdue University, 1984
- Professor of Physics, Purdue University, 1972-present
- Visiting Professor, University of Richester, 1975-76
- Associate Professor of Physics, Purdue University, 1965-72
- Associate Professor of Physics, Case Institute of Technology, 1960-65
- Assistant Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1958-60
- Instructor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1955-58
- (T. Alexopoulos), A. Bujak, D. D. Carmony, L. J. Gutay, A. S. Hirsch, R. Scharenberg, B. Stringfellow, et al., "The Role of Double Parton Collisions in Soft Hadron Interactions," Phys. Lett. B 435, 453-457, (1998).
- (T. Alexopoulos), C. Allen, A. Bujak, D. Carmony, P. Cole, Y. Choi, R. De Bonte, L. Gutay, A. Hirsch, T. McMahon, N. Morgan, R. Scharenberg, B. Stringfellow, et al., "Mass-Identified Particle Yields in Antiproton-Proton Collisions at sqrt(s) = 1.8 TeV," Phys. Rev. Lett., No. 9, Feb. 26, 1990.
- (T. Alexopoulos), C. Allen, A. Bujak, D.D. Carmony, Y. Choi, P. Cole, R. DeBonte, L.J. Gutay, A.S. Hirsch, T. McMahon, R.P. Scharenberg, B.C. Stringfellow, et al. "Study of Source Size in anitproton - proton collisions at s**(1/2) 1.8 TeV Using Pion Interferometry" Phys. Rev. D 48, No. 5, 1931-1942, 1 September 1993.
- J.A. Hauger, P. Warren, Y. Choi, J.B. Elliott, M.L. Gilkes, A.S. Hirsch, E.L. Hjort, N.T. Porile, R.P. Scharenberg, B.K. Srivastava, M. Tincknell, et al., "Multifragmentation of the Remnant Produced in the Reaction of 1A GeV Gold with Carbon," Phys. Rev. C 57, (2), 764-783, (1998).
- 1760 40, Proton-Nucleus Charge Exchange Measurements at 144 VeV as a Test of One-Pion Exchange and the Partially Conserved Axial Vector Current, (w/G. Moake/L. Gutay/P. Debevec/P. Quin). Phys. Rev. C21, 2211-2225. June 1980.
- 706 15, Static quadrupole moment of the 2+ state in 114Cd, (w/G. Schilling/J. Tippie). Phys. Rev. Lett. 19, 318-321 (August 1967).
- Pulsed-Beam Measurement of the Gyromagnetic Ratio of the 111-keV 2+ State in Tungsten-184. R.P. Scharenberg, J.D. Kurfess, G. Schilling, J.W. Tippie, and P.J. Wolfe. Phys. Rev. 137, B26-B31 (1964).