Thomas J. Moffett
NOTE: E-mail addresses end with @purdue.edu
Emeritus Professor of Physics
Office: Physics 244
Telephone: (765) 494-5508
Fax: (765) 494-0706
B.S., Physics, Louisiana State University, 1966
M.S., Physics, Louisiana State University, 1969
Ph.D., Astronomy, The University of Texas at Austin, 1973
Current: Distances to galaxies in the Local Group.
Previous: Variable stars, flare stars, photometry.
Activities: Observation astronomy in the optical region.
- Astr 363 (Fall 2000)
- Astr 364 (Spring 2001)
- Astr 263 (Fall 2001)
- M.L. Frueh, McDonald Observatory, The University of Texas at Austin
- K.G. Wolinski, Post doc at the Hubble Space Telescope
- H.L. Chambers II, Assistant Professor, College of Charleston
- Member, International Astronomical Union
- Fellow, the Royal Astronomical Society
- Professor of Physics, Purdue University, 1984-present
- Visiting Associate Professor of Astronomy, the University of Texas, 1981-82
- Associate Professor of Physics, Purdue University, 1979-84
- Assistant Professor of Physics, Purdue University, 1975-79
- Astronomy Research Associate, the University of Texas, 1973-75
- W.P. Gieren, T.J. Moffett and, T.G. Barnes III: "Calibrating the Cepheid Period - Radius Relation with Galactic and Magellanic Cloud Cepheids", Ap.J., 512, 553 (1999).
- T.G. Barnes III, I.I. Ivans, J.R. Martin, C.S. Froning and T.J. Moffett: "V(RI)c Photometry of Cepheids in the Magellanic Clouds", PASP, 111, 812, 1999.
- R. Earle Luck, Thomas J. Moffett, Thomas G. Barnes III, and Wolfgang P. Gieren: "Magellanic Cloud Cepheids: Abundances" A.J. 115, 605-634 (1998).
- Thomas J. Moffett, Wolfgang P. Gieren, Thomas G. Barnes III, and Matias Gomez: "BV(RI)C Photometry of Cepheids in the Magellanic Clouds", Ap. J. Suppl., 117, 135-146 (1998).
- T.G.Barnes, J.A. Fernley, M.L. Frueh, J.G. Navas, T.J. Moffett, and I. Skillen, "BVRIJHK Photometry of Cepheid Variables" PASP, 109, 645-658, (1997).