Dr. Jing Liu focuses on the development of cutting-edge imaging methods and computational image processing/analysis algorithms to quantitatively interpret the complexity of images. With various home-built optical microscopes and imaging systems, he is especially interested in exploring the fundamental biophysical properties in live cells and nanoscale light-matter interactions.
Project 1: Mechanical Regulation of Chromatin Motion. NSF, Physics of Living System, 2023 - 2028.
Project 2: Monitoring the three-dimensional motion of chromatin at single molecule resolution. NIH/NIGMS, 2022 - 2027.
Project 3: Chromatin mobility in response to DNA damage. NIH/NCI, 2018 - 2023.
Project 1: Single Molecule Spatial Omics for Type 1 Diabetes Research, IUSM, CDMD, 2022 - 2023.
Project 2: Developing bioimage informatics towards single molecule spatial transcriptomics for type 1 diabetes. NIDDK (Primary)/UCSD(sub-award), dkNET bioinformatics grant, 2022 - 2024.
Project 3: β cell miRNAs Function as Molecular Hubs of Type 1 Diabetes Pathogenesis. NIH/NIDDK, 2021 - 2026.
Publications & Professional Activity
Selected Publication. Full publication list can be found in the Google Scholar Page.
- Locatellid, J. Lawrimored, H. Linb,d, S. Sanaullah, C. Seitzb, D. Segall, P. Kefer, S. Moreno, B. Lietz, R. Anderson, J. Holmes, C. Yuan, G. Holzwarth, K. Bloom, J. Liu, K. Bonin, and P. A. Vidi, “DNA damage reduces heterogeneity and coherence of chromatin motions”, Proceedings of National Academy of Science (PNAS), 119, e2205166199 (2022).
- Kefer, F. Iqbalb,d, M. Locatelli, J. Lawrimore, M. D. Zhangb, K. Bloom, K. Bonin, P.A. Vidi, and J. Liua, "Performance of deep learning restoration methods for the extraction of particle dynamics in noisy microscopy images" Molecular Biology of the Cell, 32, 903-914 (2021).
- J. Liua, Y. W. Hu, P. Kumar, X. T. Liu, J. MK. Irudayaraj, and G. J. Cheng, "Enhanced energy transfer from NV Centers to 3D Graphene Heterostructures by Laser Nanoshaping", Advanced Optical Materials, 2001830 (2021).
- F. Lib, A. Chen, S. Liu, A. Reeserc, Y. Wang, Y. Fan, X. Zhao, R. Prakashc, B. Li, H. Yokota, and J. Liu*, “Vinculin Force Sensor Detects Tumor-Osteocyte Interactions”, Scientific Reports, 9, 5615 (2019).
- Y. Cui, X. Wang, W. Ren, J. Liu, and J. Irudayaraj, “Optical Clearing Delivers Ultrasensitive Hyperspectral Dark-Field Imaging for Single-Cell Evaluation”, ACS Nano, 10, 3132-3143 (2016).
- J. Liu, P. Vidi, S. A. Lelièvre, and J. M. K. Irudayaraj, “Nanoscale Histone Localization in Live Cells Reveals Reduced Chromatin Mobility in Response to DNA Damage”, Journal of Cell Science, 128, 599-604 (2015).
Member, Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Indiana University School of Medicine.
Member, Center for Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, Indiana University School of Medicine.
Associated member, Indiana University Simon Comprehensive Cancer Center.