Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, June 1991.
M.S. Physics, University of Chicago, December 1986.
B.A. with Honors in Physics, University of Chicago, December 1985.
Louisiana State University, 1982-83
Professor of Physics, Purdue University, 8/13-now
Alumni Professor of Physics, Auburn University, 9/04-9/09
Professor of Physics, Auburn University, 9/03-8/13.
Associate Professor of Physics, Auburn University, 9/98 to 9/03.
Sabbatical at AMOLF FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 6/98-6/99.
Assistant Professor of Physics, Auburn University, 9/93 to 9/98.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics, 12/90 to 8/93.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Chicago, 5/86 to 12/90.
National Science Foundation, Atomic Theory
National Science Foundation, Plasma Physics
Department of Energy, Basic Energy Sciences
Eugene J. Clothiaux Faculty Teaching Award, Auburn University College of Science and Mathematics, 2012.
M.O.P. Award, Auburn Society of Physics Students, 2012.
John Dawson Award for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research, 2011 (shared with several members of the ALPHA collaboration)
Dean's Faculty Research Award, Auburn University College of Science and Mathematics, 2011
Outstanding Referee, American Physical Society, 2008
Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Auburn Society of Physics Students, 2005
SPS Faculty Award, The Quotable Award, Auburn Society of Physics Students, 2004
Alumni Professor, Auburn University, 2004-9.
Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2001.
National Science Foundation Young Investigator, 1994-9.
Harper Fellowship from University of Chicago, 1990.
Prof. Robicheaux is an atomic theorist mainly focusing on time dependent atomic phenomena, highly excited (Rydberg) atoms, electron scattering, strong fields, and ultracold plasmas. He is a member of the ALPHA collaboration which was the first group to trap the antimatter version of the hydrogen atom and was the first group to perform experiments on anti-hydrogen. The research has a strong computational component so that the majority of results contain comparisons with past and predictions of future experimental results.
Ten Recent Publications:
- B.C. Yang, J. Perez-Rios, and F. Robicheaux, "Classical Fractals and Quantum Chaos in Ultracold Dipolar Collisions," Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 154101 (2017). PDF (722 kB)
- F. Robicheaux, "Comment on "Matter-Wave Interferometry of a Levitated Thermal Nano-Oscillator Induced and Probed by a Spin"," Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 108901 (2017). PDF (58 kB)
- C. Ahmadi, et al (ALPHA collaboration), "Observation of the 1S-2S transition in trapped antihydrogen," Nature 541, 506 (2017). PDF (525 kB) (Nature comment, APS comment, many online descriptions)
- A. P. Povilus, N. D. DeTal, L. T. Evans, N. Evetts, J. Fajans, W. N. Hardy, E. D. Hunter, I. Martens, F. Robicheaux, S. Shanman, C. So, X. Wang, and J. S. Wurtele, "Electron Plasmas Cooled by Cyclotron-Cavity Resonance," Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 175001 (2016). PDF (1480 kB)
- Thai M. Hoang, Yue Ma, Jonghoon Ahn, Jaehoon Bang, F. Robicheaux, Zhang-Qi Yin, and Tongcang Li, "Torsional Optomechanics of a Levitated Nonspherical Nanoparticle," Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 123604 (2016). PDF (810 kB) News and commentary
- C. Ahmadi, et al (ALPHA collaboration), "An improved limit on the charge of antihydrogen from stochastic acceleration," Nature 529, 373 (2016). PDF (641 kB)
- A.S. Stodolna, F. Lepine, T. Bergeman, F. Robicheaux, A. Gijsbertsen, J.H. Jungmann, C. Bordas, and M.J.J. Vrakking, "Visualizing the coupling between red and blue stark states using photoionization microscopy," Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 103002 (2014). PDF (1210 kB)
- C. Amole, et al (ALPHA collaboration), "An experimental limit on the charge of antihydrogen," Nature Comm. 5, 3955 (2014). PDF (793 kB)
- P. Hamilton, A. Zhmoginov, F.
Robicheaux, J. Fajans, J.S. Wurtele, and H. Muller, "Antimatter
interferometry for gravity measuerments," Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 121102 (2014). PDF (730 kB) News and commentary, Physics World
Stodolna, A. Rouzee, F. Lepine, S. Cohen, F. Robicheaux, A.
Gijsbertsen, J.H. Jungman, C. Bordas, and M.J.J. Vrakking, "Hydrogen
atoms under magnification: direct observation of the nodal structure of
Stark states," Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 213001 (2013). PDF (1,150 kB) Physics Focus (viewpoint)