Lab Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/litongcang/
- 2011: Ph.D. in Physics, The University of Texas at Austin, USA.
- 2004: B.S. in Physics, University of Science and Technology of China
- 08/2014 - : Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Purdue University
- 08/2014 - : Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University
- 08/2011 - 07/2014: Postdoctoral Scholar, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 06/2011 – 07/2011: Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Texas at Austin.
- 01/2005 – 05/2011: Graduate Research Assistant, The University of Texas at Austin.
- 09/2004 – 12/2004: Teaching Assistant in Physics, The University of Texas at Austin.
- Reviewers for Nature Communications, PNAS, Physical Review Letters, Nano Letters, Laser & Photonics Reviews, New Journal of Physics, Optics Express, Nanotechnology, etc.
Awards and Honors
- NSF CAREER Award, 2016
- My paper "Science, 328, 1673 (2010)" on Brownian motion was included in the “Science in the Classroom”, an NSF-funded AAAS project for teaching high school and college students, 2013
- Springer Theses Prize, Springer Science + Business Media, 2012
- Outstanding Dissertation in Physics, Department of Physics, The University of Texas at Austin, 2011
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad, China Scholarship Council, 2011
- Jean Bennett Memorial Student Travel Grant, Optical Society of America Foundation, 2010
(Only one student is awarded this grant per year. Citation: “In recognition of outstanding research excellence”.)
- Lawrence C. Biedenharn Endowment for Excellence, University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- Excellent Bachelor Thesis, University of Science and Technology of China, 2004.
- Superexcellent Research Program of Undergraduate Students, University of Science and Technology of China, 2003.
- Academic Excellence Awards: 2000-2003
Quantum optomechanics, quantum optics, laser trapping and cooling, nonequilibrium thermodynamics, and more
- Tongcang Li, Fundamental Tests of Physics with Optically Trapped Microspheres (Springer Theses) (Springer, New York, 2013)
Selected Journal Publications
- Hao-Kun Li, Erik Urban, Crystal Noel, Alexander Chuang, Yang Xia, Anthony Ransford, Boerge Hemmerling, Yuan Wang, Tongcang Li, Hartmut Häffner, and Xiang Zhang. "Realization of Translational Symmetry in Trapped Cold Ion Rings", Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 053001 (2017). (PRL Editors' Suggestion)
Thai M. Hoang, Yue Ma, Jonghoon Ahn, Jaehoon Bang, F. Robicheaux, Zhang-Qi Yin, Tongcang Li. "Torsional optomechanics of a levitated nonspherical nanoparticle", Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 123604 (2016) (Featured in Physics; PRL Editors' Suggestion)
Thai M. Hoang, Jonghoon Ahn, Jaehoon Bang, Tongcang Li. "Electron spin control of optically levitated nanodiamonds in vacuum", Nature Communications 7, 12550 (2016)
Peng Zhang*, Tongcang Li*, Jie Zhu*, Xuefeng Zhu, Sui Yang, Yuan Wang, Xiaobo Yin, and Xiang Zhang. "Generation of acoustic self-bending and bottle beams by phase engineering", Nature Communications, 5, 4316 (2014) (* coleading authors)
S. Kheifets, A. Simha, K. Melin, Tongcang Li, M. G. Raizen. "Observation of Brownian motion in liquids at short times: instantaneous velocity and memory loss", Science, 343, 1493 (2014)
Peng Zhang, Yi Hu, Tongcang Li, Drake Cannan, Xiaobo Yin, Roberto Morandotti, Zhigang Chen, Xiang Zhang. Nonparaxial Mathieu and Weber accelerating beams. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 193901 (2012) (cover story)
Tongcang Li, Z.-X. Gong, Z.-Q. Yin, H. T. Quan, X. Yin, P. Zhang, L.-M. Duan, X. Zhang, “Space-time crystals of trapped ions”, Phys. Rev. Lett., 109, 163001 (2012) (cover story)
Tongcang Li, Simon Kheifets, Mark G. Raizen, “Millikelvin cooling of an optically trapped microsphere in vacuum”, Nature Physics, 7, 527 (2011)
Tongcang Li, S. Kheifets, D. Medellin, and M. G. Raizen, “Measurement of the instantaneous velocity of a Brownian particle”, Science, 328, 1673 (2010)
K. Henderson, H. Kelkar, B. Gutierrez-Medina, T. C. Li, and M. G. Raizen. "Experimental Study of the Role of Atomic Interactions on Quantum Transport". Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 150401 (2006)