B.S., Physics 1994, Caltech
M.S., Physics 1995, UCLA
Ph.D., Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics 2000 UCLA
- Condensed matter theory of strongly correlated electronic systems
- Liquid crystalline vortex matter in type II superconductors
- Theory of high temperature superconductivity
- Stripe phases in doped antiferromagnets
- Granular superconductors
- Analytic work and Monte Carlo simulations of the XY model
- Field theoretic calculation of spectral functions in quasi-one-dimensional superconductors Dimensional crossover
- Anisotropic bipolarons
- Professor, Purdue University Dept. of Physics 2013-present
- Associate Professor, Purdue University Dept. of Physics 2009-2013
- Assistant Professor, Purdue University Dept. of Physics 2003-2009
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Boston University Dept. of Physics 2000-2003
- Research Assistant, UCLA Dept. of Physics 1996-2000
- Research Assistant, Caltech Dept. of Physics Summer 1993
- Research Assistant, Caltech Dept. of Chemistry Spring 1991
- Research Assistant, Emory University Dept. of Chemistry Summer 1991
- Organizer, Workshop on Pseudogaps in Strongly Correlated Metals, Aspen Center for Physics Summer 2004
- Visiting Scientist, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory July 2003
- Session Chair, Workshop on Complex Quantum Order, Aspen Center for Physics February 2003
- Visitor, Aspen Center for Physics August 2002
- Session Chair, APS March meeting March 2002
- Member, American Physical Society, DCMP Division 1996-present
Full Publication List
- T. Datta, E. W. Carlson, and J. P. Hu, "The Luttinger Liquid Kink," submitted to Phys. Rev. B, cond-mat/0703101
- Y. L. Loh and E. W. Carlson, " Using inhomogeneity to raise the superconducting critical temperature in a two-dimensional XY model," Phys. Rev. B 75, 132506 (2007) .
- Y. L. Loh and E. W. Carlson, "Efficient Algorithm for Random-Bond Ising Models in 2D," Phys. Rev. Lett., 97, 227205 (2006) .
- D. X. Yao, E. W. Carlson, and D. K. Campbell, "Magnetic Excitations of Stripes Near a Quantum Critical Point," Phys. Rev. Lett., 97, 017003 (2006).
- E. W. Carlson, K. A. Dahmen, E. Fradkin, S. A.
Kivelson, "Hysteresis and Noise from Electronic Nematicity in High
Phys. Rev. Lett, 96, 097003 (2006).
- E. W. Carlson, V. J. Emery, S. A. Kivelson, and D. Orgad, "Concepts in High Temperature Superconductivity,"
in "The Physics of Conventional and Unconventional Superconductors,
Vol. II " ed. K.H. Bennemann and J.B. Ketterson (Springer-Verlag 2004)
- E. W. Carlson, A. H. Castro Neto, and D. K. Campbell, "Vortex Liquid Crystals in Anisotropic Type II Superconductors," Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 087001 (2003)
- D. Orgad, S. A. Kivelson, E. W. Carlson, V. J. Emery, X. J.
Zhou, and Z.-X. Shen, "Evidence of Electron Fractionalization from
ARPES Spectra in the High Temperature Superconductors," Phys. Rev. Lett., 86, p. 4362 (2001).
- E. W. Carlson, S. A. Kivelson, D. Orgad, and V. J. Emery,
"Dimensional Crossover in Quasi-One-Dimensional and High Tc
Superconductors," Phys. Rev. B, 62, p. 3422 (2000).
- E. W. Carlson, S. A. Kivelson, V. J. Emery, and E. Manousakis,
"Classical Phase Fluctuations in High-Temperature Superconductors," Phys. Rev. Lett., 83, p. 612 (1999).