Welcome to our Homepage for the Center for Sensing Science and Technology (CSST)
The purpose of this center is for academic research, reference, and education in sensing science and technology focused on the identification of hazardous materials. The goals are:
- Provide world-leading research in sensing science and technology
- Develop the premier collection of sensing science and technology resources for education and reference
- Design and deploy educational materials and methods for enhanced university education in sensing science and technology
- Provide a focal point for meetings and information exchange among the various agencies, universities and groups interested in advancing the state of the art and the state of practice in sensing science and technology
- Encourage and enhance cross-disciplinary research in sensing science and technology
The above goals of the CSST are consistent with the recently formulated Purdue University Strategic 5-year Plan for 2001-2006, and also with a report, “America’s Research Universities: Institutions in Service to the Nation”, published in January 2001 by the Association of American Universities (AAU). These documents identify four key areas of particular challenges to the nation: (1) sustaining economic development and global technological leadership; (2) educating a knowledge-based workforce; (3) ensuring continued medical breakthroughs and improving public health; (4) maintaining national security in a more uncertain world.