Professor Robert Green Sachs obtained his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1939, and after 2 years as a Judith Joel Research Fellow at George Washington University, joined the Purdue faculty as Instructor in Physics in 1941. He remained at Purdue until 1943, when he took up a position at the Ballistic Research Lab in Aberdeen Proving Ground, followed by the directorship of the theoretical physics division at Argonne National Laboratory. In 1947, he returned to academics, as Associate Professor of Physics at the University of Wisconsin, becoming a full Professor the following year. He then became a Professor at the Enrico Fermi Institute of the University of Chicago in 1964.
Professor Sachs is renowned in the areas of theoretical nuclear and atomic physics, terminal ballistics, and nuclear power reactors. He served as Associate Laboratory Director for High Energy Physics at Argonne National Laboratory and consulted for various laboratories such the Ballistic Research Labs, Argonne National Laboratory, and the Radiation Laboratory of the University of California, Berkeley.